Friday, March 21, 2008

JESUS IN THE TOMB

John 19:41 "At the place where Jesus was crucified there was a garden and in the garden a new tomb....they laid Jesus there."

I Corinthians 2:2 "For I resolve to know nothing...except Jesus and Him crucified."

Philippians 3:10 "I want to know Christ and the power of His resurrection and the fellowship of sharing His sufferings, becoming like Him in death."

After Jesus died and was placed in the tomb, the Bible tells us that the disciples were all together with the doors locked, afraid. We can only imagine what they discussed during that time. But I think they probably relived the past three years, and particularly the past week they had with Jesus.

They probably remembered the trip to Jerusalem and the fellowship of other pilgrims in route to celebrate Passover. They remembered singing the Psalms of Ascent as they approached the city. They would have remembered His miracles, the teachings, the healings. Thoughts had to reflect the excitement of His entry into Jerusalem and the cleansing of the Temple. They would have recalled the betray of Judas, the humility of the Passover Seder when Jesus washed their feel, the agony of Gethsemane, and their own denial at the mock trial of their beloved Friend. They would have been haunted by the cross. They would have been in complete fear, not knowing if they would suffer the same death. All of their hopes and dreams were over--so they thought.

We too must reflect on the week we have had walking with Christ. But we do not need to be afraid as the disciples were, because we know something that they did not know at that time. Jesus has given us hope--He has overcome death!! He rose from the grave. When we think about all He has done just for us, we should have a greater desire to know Him and to love HIm with all our heart, soul, mind and strength.

At The Cross

Oh Lord You’ve searched me
You know my way
Even when I fail You
I know You love me

Your holy presence
Surrounding me
In every season
I know You love me
I know You love me

At the cross I bow my knee
Where Your blood was shed for me
There’s no greater love than this
You have overcome the grave
Your glory fills the highest place
What can separate me now

You go before me
You shield my way
Your hand upholds me
I know You love me

You tore the veil
You made a way
When You said that it is done

And when the earth fades
Falls from my eyes
And You stand before me
I know You love me
I know You love me

(Hillsong)

Things to Ponder

Take time today to think about your walk with Christ this week. Ask Him to give you a desire to know Him in a new and better way. -jl

"Love so amazing, so divine, demands my soul, my life, my all."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jenny and Marilyn
Thank you so much for taking time out this week in leading us to focus on the true meaning of Easter. I have grown weary of Easter bunnies and eggs and really needed this. Last night at the Good Friday service my heart quickened as I walked into the worship center to see the cross, spotlighted and draped (almost seeming to drip) in blood red fabric. The crown of thorns atop the cross was a reminder of only a small part of His suffering for me. Our Bible study, Stepping Up, along with all the wonderful information you shared, Jenny, so enhanced this Easter for me. The final scene in the video at the Good Friday service last night was haunting! How wonderful to know that on Sunday morning we will gather again to CELEBRATE! Oh, how He loves you and me!!! gw