Wednesday, March 19, 2008

JESUS IN GETHSEMANE

Mark 14:32 "And they came to an olive grove called Gethsemane, and Jesus said, "Sit here while I pray. My soul is overwhelmed with sorrow to the point of death. Stay here and watch. He went on a little farther and fell face down on the ground and prayed that if possible the hour might pass from him. "Abba, Father," he said, "everything is possible for you, Please take this cup of suffering away from me. Yet, I want your will, not mine." Then He returned and found the disciples asleep.


The book of John records that on the night that Jesus ate the Passover meal with the disciples, instituted the Lord's Supper, and washed their feet, He prayed for the disciples and for all who would believe in Him. That means, He prayed for you and me! They would leave the room and go to a place called Gethsemane (olive press). There Jesus prayed with such intensity that great drops of blood began to seep from Him, just like olive oil would seep from the weight of the olive press. While His disciples slept--our Savior was bearing the heavy load of what was to come. Laying face down on the ground, He dried to His Abba, His Daddy, "If possible--but not my will, but Thine." When He left the Garden that night, He knew that His disciples would abandon Him, and His Father would have to forsake Him. He knew what was ahead. Yet, He willingly went. Why? Because He loves you and me.

Things to Ponder

1. How important is prayer in my life?

2. When others ask me to pray, am I like the disciples and forget--caught up in my own cares and needs?

3. Do I struggle in prayer to know God's will for my life?

4. Am I will to abandon my hopes, my dreams, my plans and say, "I want Your will, not mine"?


OH HOW HE LOVES YOU AND ME

O how He loves you and me, O how He loves you and me
He gave His life, what more could He give? O how He loves you,
O how He loves me! O how He loves you and me!

Jesus to Calvary did go, His love for mankind to show
What He did there, brought hope from despair; O how He love you,
O, how he loves me! O how He loves you and me!

No comments: