Saturday, January 26, 2008

Why Pray for the Peace of Jerusalem

How can our prayers help?

Here are some good reasons.
1st, speaking of the Jewish people the Lord said, "Whoever touches you touches the apple of my eye (Zech. 2:9)" and "whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me (Matt 25:40)." I know it breaks His heart to see the way His City has been defiled by hate and bloodshed. As Bob Pierce, founder of World Vision has said,
"Let my heart be broken by the things that break the heart of God." It's good for us to be on the Lord's side.

2nd, He has commanded it and rewards us for obedience. All of Psalm 122 speaks of the special nature of Jerusalem; the one place on Earth God specifically chose for His dwelling and vs. 6 promises prosperity to those who pray for its peace.

And 3rd, when you pray for the peace of Jerusalem, you're praying for the Messiah to come and establish His Kingdom. Maybe that's the best reason of all.
You can almost hear the Footsteps of the Messiah.

From an article by Jack Kelley from
gracethrufaith.com

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow....I was really touched tonight at our Bible study!! I just cried and cried(as usual!). First of all let me just say that I love learning to pray for Jerusalem! I never pray for Jerusalem and now I will!! Thank You Lord, for showing me that this week!!Bring back Your peace we ask oh God!

I also really loved how Beth Moore took us from the "woe is me" to the praise!! I have found that we have to learn to open our mouths and WORSHIP our Father even when things are BAD. The devil wants nothing more than to steal our praise and our worship by distracting us. Although sometimes I think the Lord wants to see if we really will worship Him when things are really hard. I find it easy to dance and sing to the Lord(which I love to do with Morgan and Ethan) on a good day. When there is plenty of money in the bank and we have all we need, things are good with the kids, and hubby, etc. But it is so much harder to literally sing praise to the Lord when I am going thru it. After ALL He has done for me, and been so faithful thru it all,the least I can do is pour some love back on Him...good day or bad day. Thank you Beth Moore for saying this thru your week one!! I am so hungry for this Bible study and am Thankful for it!!! Much love-Tricia

Anonymous said...

I loved our time of study tonight. Thank you Jennie for teaching us so much.

I loved in the video when Beth was discussing staying on the "high road". When someone has offended me or been ugly and I feel that I am justified in my anger, I often want to "stoop" and go to their level as well. It was great to be reminded that as a follower of Christ, I am above that! I represent my father and ALL His goodness.

I pray that I will long to be more and more like Him each day. I pray that my soul will LONG for Him like I so often long for things in this world. May my heart and attitudes be changed through this journey! I want to go and get some good music and praise him something serious tonight...I love you Jesus! Thank you, Father, for loving me!
traci