Tuesday, January 29, 2008

JERICHO ROAD

I am always so wired after our sessions together, it takes me a long time to come back down to earth. And tonight I am WIRED. What a session!!

I just loved it when Beth started quoting those songs and asked us to finish the verses. Too bad she didn't have "On the Jericho Road" as one of her selections. Marla, Shelia, Nancy and I could have helped her out on that one!!

Which gave me the idea. I found my "old brown book" with that song in it. Now in case you don't know what the "old brown book" is, I will tell you. I grew up in a rural church that used a hymn book published in the early 1930's compiled by a group named Stamps-Baxter.(And it was brown, hence, the "old brown book" as it was commonly called) Some of the songs are old hymns still sung today. But most of the songs were written for quartet style singing that we call "Southern Gospel" today.

Many of these songs were written in the early 1900's. Many of them will die out with this present older generation because this type of music is sung in very few congeregations now. And that is sad in a way, but I do love the music that is written today that speaks to this generation. Isn't it something that God inspires psalmist for each generation to speak His Word in music. I am so glad the Divinely inspired words of the Psalms of Ascent have transcended hundreds of generations, and still comfort us today.

"The Jericho Road" was written by Donald S. McCrossen in 1933. This song is like so many I grew up with. I just sang it never thinking about what it meant. The message in it is really great, and I hope it will bless you.

"As you travel along on the Jericho Road,
Does the world seem all wrong and heavy your load?
Just bring it to Christ, you sins all confess,
On the Jericho Road, you heart He will bless.'

"O brother to you, this message I bring,
Tho hope may be gone, He'll cause you to sing;
At Jesus' command, sin's shackles must fall,
On the Jericho road, will you answer His call?

(Refrain)

"On the Jericho road, there's room for just two,
No more and no less, just Jesus and you;
Each burden He'll bear, each sorrow He'll share,
There's never a care, for Jesus is there."

As you continue on the road to Jerusalem, may you find comfort in knowing that your Keeper holds your hand and will never let go. (Becky, I loved that.)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved our lesson today! Although no church is perfect because it is made up of a lot of imperfect people, it did remind me of how thankful I am for Trace Crossing. There were so many things that I could have listed about why I love my faith family. Just wondering what you all had to say to that question...
traci

Anonymous said...

I agree. There are many reasons I love coming into the doors at Trace Crossing. Some of them being the warmth felt, acceptance expressed, and the genuine smiles seen as I enter. I pray new people sense that love as they enter. Come on y'all - we can talk on this one. We are blessed!- marilyn

Anonymous said...

We are so incredibly blessed!!! I get so excited about being at Trace. Knowing that God has laid a fresh word on Kevin's heart. Knowing that Kevin W. is going to take us clear up to the throne! Can we all say Amen! It is a privilege to worship with each of you and KNOW that whoever God brings through our doors is sooooooo very welcome and will be made to feel welcome. Lord, thank you for the gift we have in Trace!!! Emma Kate