Sunday, April 6, 2008

Life isn't about waiting till the storm is over...it's about learning to dance in the rain.

I got this note of encouragement last week, and sent it out to several people. I have been amazed at the responses. One comment was, "Too bad we Baptist didn't learn to dance".

So I started thinking. I am from a very legalistic background when it comes to dancing. It was FORBIDDEN!!!! All kinds of dancing. I remember asking my third grade Sunday School teacher why we didn't believe in dancing, and will never forger her answer. She told me the story of Herod giving a banquet and the daughter of his much disputed wife dancing for the guests. Because her dancing pleased Herod, he granted her a wish of anything she wanted. Not knowing what to ask for, she went to her mother who requested the head of John the Baptist on a platter. (Mark 6:14-28) "That", she said, "is why we do not dance". And I believed her with all my heart. Lord knows I didn't want my head cut off.

I never took dance lessons, not did I allow my daughters to do so. I regret that to this day. It was when my children became pre-teens, that I realized how stupid this
"theology" really was. Scriptures tell of David dancing before the Lord, and we discussed in the study about the priests dancing before the Lord during the feasts. How did we miss that???

I did, what many still continue to do today concerning somewhat controversial topics, I took someone's word and didn't study the scripture. I agree that some of the dance movements tend to be a bit "much", but there is nothing more beautiful than interpretive movement or ballet to the music of the believers.

And I absolutely love Israeli music and dance. So, having been freed from this bondage, I decided one night to try some dancing to Jewish music. I was at home alone, had a DVD to learn by, and the perfect time to try it--no one to watch.

I need to explain about the location of my house. A street intersects to the street I live on right in front of my living room window. That means anyone coming to a stop will be looking right into my living area, where this "once forbidden sin" was about to take place.

I was really getting into the step--of course not perfectly. I have 50 plus years to overcome. But I was enjoying myself very much. I was singing, waving my arms, actually moving my feet. I was praising the Lord!! I whirled around, just like the dancers on the DVD were doing, only to face car lights shining right on me. I forgot to close the wooden shutters. I hit the floor, face down. I don't know how long they had been there, but they stayed, what seemed like, a long time. I guess assuming the show was over, they finally decided to leave.

I know that I should have prayed, "Lord, if you won't cut my head off, I promise I won't do this again". But instead I prayed, "Lord, I know those people out there in that car are laughing their heads off, so please, PLEASE don't let them be anyone I know."

That ended my dancing career. I still have my head on--well, somewhat. And so far, no one has told me that they had some free entertainment at my expense.

So much for dancing!!

jl

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

To quote a country song - "I hope you dance." Close the shutters for a while if you need the practice!! Love you, Glennis