Tuesday, April 1, 2008

JUST THINKING


"Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me. Psalm 23:4

This past Sunday, Kevin mentioned in his sermon about the Valley of the Shadow of Death being an actual valley between Jericho and Jerusalem. We discussed in the study about the Jericho Road, and this road leads through the Valley of the Shadow of Death. That means pilgrims going to Jerusalem from Jericho would pass through this valley. That means, Jesus would have gone through this valley on His journey to Jerusalem--the journey to the cross.


I wonder what He was thinking. I wonder if this Psalm came to mind as He was passing through. I wonder if He remembered that even though His Father promises to walk with us through the dark valley of death, that He would have to turn His back on Him in death? Why?
Because Jesus became the sin of the world when He was on the cross. He became my sin and your sin. And our Holy Father cannot look at sin. And because Jesus literally walked though this death alone, we have the Promise of the eternal presence of our Father. He is our Immanuel, God with us. We do not have to fear death, because He overcame death.

Yes, I think He probably was thinking of what lay ahead. But I think He would have also been thinking about Resurrection Sunday. And that had to have been His comfort. I think He would have been thinking about all of those whom He loves who would believe in Him and would share eternity with Him. He would have been thinking about you and me.


Look at this picture. I think it is interesting that sheep and goats are on that road. It is a beautiful picture of we the sheep in the dark valleys knowing that our Good Shepherd is leading us. That is our comfort. -jl


No comments: