Tuesday, February 5, 2008

ASH WEDNESDAY

Tomorrow is Ash Wednesday, the beginning of a 40 day period when many Christians prepare themselves to celebrate the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus. This season, known as Lent, is used as a time to examine their lives, to turn their backs on the sin that so easily creeps into our lives, and to re-dedicate their lives to God.

Sounds to me like what our pilgrims traveling to Jerusalem to celebrate Passover would be doing as they sang the Psalms of Ascent. They would be going to celebrate their redemption from Egyptian bondage. These Psalms reflect the heart of the pilgrim as they too, begin the process of examining their lives as they approach the temple of God. Christians now will be celebrating the redemption of our bondage of sin by The Passover Lamb.

Those who observe Lent, prepare themselves by asking God to show them their failures and repenting of their wrong doings. It is a time for new beginnings that start with repentance and receiving the forgiveness of God. It is a time of self sacrifice and self discipline. It is a time of fasting and praying. Many choose to "give up" things in their lives that hinder them from being the type of follower that Jesus would have us to be.

I started observing Lent several years ago, and I can tell you, that it has been a huge difference in how I celebrate the Easter season. Working in retail during the "religious holidays", I tend to lose the meaning of what we are really celebrating. I know many of you have been in Christian denominations that celebrate the Lenten season. Most of us have not had that privilege. Please share your experiences with us.

As we travel the road to Jerusalem together, may we use this time to re-examine our own lives, and allow God to do some "spring cleaning". It will require sacrifice on our part, but remember, the One who is the ultimate Sacrifice, is the one we most desire to imitate. It's worth the journey. - jl

3 comments:

Samantha said...

JL, You wrote that last week you felt under attack. Thanks for sharing that because I, too, felt attacked. It was much harder to get in my study before beginning the day and some days I seemed overwhelmed with responsibilities before my feet or my forehead hit the ground. Yet, last week's Psalms truly ministered to me when I finally got around to studying them. No wonder Satan wanted to keep me away from the Word. Thanks, too, for sharing the Wordsworth poem. It was beautiful. WHAT ARE YOU GIVING UP FOR LENT?

Jennie said...

What am I giving up for Lent? One thing that is dear to my heart and stomach--sweets!!! I am giving up junk food and Diet Coke too. The purpose is to try to get self disclipined in my eating habits. I want to start eating healthy again. I am almost afraid to voice what I really want to do the last week. I want to give up coffee. That is REALLY dear to my heart!!!! Or at least be able to reduce the number of pots I drink a day. It is just hard to do Bible Study every morning without my cup of coffee. I really think God meant for them to go together, you know like---soup/salad, man/woman, coffee/Word of God!!!

Okay, what are you giving up? jl

Jennie said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.